| Matignon - Pléboulle - Ruca - Saint-Denoual - Saint-Pôtan
Pléboulle - Origins
Origin of the name: from the Latin “plebs Pauli” Paul’s people; or perhaps from “Plé poul” marshland parish. The oldest traces of human occupation are a dolmen, which has since disappeared, at least fi ve Gallo-Roman sites, including one close to the village, and a fragment of the Gallo-Roman road between Alet (Saint-Malo) and Carhaix.
The Knights Templar were in the village, owning the Montbran Tower and controlling the Montbran Fair. The first local authority was in 1790. Port-à-la-Duc was one of the four ports on the Penthièvre coast until it became silted up in the mid-19th Century.
Pléboulle - Heritage
• Its scenic attractions include, near the la Fresnaye bay, the marshes along the Rat and Frémur valleys, and the site of the Crissouët turret. There are yew trees near the church.
• Historical attractions include: the Church of St. Paul, which is Romanesque with some even older, pre-Romanesque parts (the nave’s 6 arches are of an archaic method of construction, used between the 9th and 11th Centuries). You can see:
- A granite tank, which four sculpted figures appear to be carrying. It is used as a font,
- A 17th Century wooden altar piece, which has statues of St. Paul and St. John the Baptist by the Trégor sculptor, Yves Corlay (1700-1776), probably dating from 1730-1740,
- A wooden crucifix and a picture of St. Anne as a child,
- In the old cemetery, which surrounds the church, there are two sections of stone pillars which some think date back to the Ambiliates, Celtic people from this area. One is decorated with pattée crosses and the other with rough vertical grooves,
- Also note the monolithic church cross, shaded by very ancient yew trees. The cross, of unknown date, is in Erquy stone, 3m high, with a section of 22 x 15 cm and no base,
- Montbran Tower. An octagonal tower which was used for controlling the Frémur crossing on the Gallo-Roman road. In the Middle Ages it was a watchtower and belonged to the Knights Templar,
- The Chapel of the Holy Cross at le Temple, called Our Lady of the Temple from the mid-17th Century onwards. It was built by the Knights Templar in the 12th Century and modifi ed in the 15th by one of the Du Guesclin family, who was a Lord of Montbran and Plancoët – his coat of arms is above the doorway.The chapel contains 16th and 17th Century statues of the Virgin and child in polychrome wood and a wooden figure of Christ. In a small window on the north side there are fragments of old stained glass, showing the symbols of three Evangelists,
- The calvary in the cemetery of the Chapel of Our Lady of Le Temple. The cross, of unknown date, is supported by a shaft, probably from the 17th Century, with lumps which recall the bubos of the plague. The base is decorated at the corners with skulls and with tibia bones on the sides,
- The Fair of the Holy Cross, called Montbran Fair. From time immemorial it was held for at least ten days around 14th September, and was run by the Knights Templar. Nowadays it is a village fete which is held at the beginning of September.
• Area: 1409 hectares • Population: 744 Pléboullais